Coaches' Code of Conduct
Coaches serve a number of important roles: teacher, role model, mentor, guardian and trainer. Good coaches are always looking to provide athletes with the mental and physical tools that will equip them to learn, to win, and to uphold the spirit of sportsmanship. To ensure the quality of coaches, the Hong Kong Coaching Committee has formulated a Code of Conduct for coaches to follow:
- Treat each athlete as an individual and help him/her to reach full potential.
- Promote fair play and show respect for other teams. Accept both the guidelines and the spirit of the rules that define and govern his/her sport.
- Keep up with the latest coaching techniques and seek continual improvement.
- Provide a safe environment. Check that the equipment and facilities are safe.
- Ensure training and competition are suitable for the age and fitness level of the athletes.
- Let athletes know the benefit of sport and encourage them to participate in sport throughout their lives.
- Do not over train athletes. Maintain athletes' interest and promote their enthusiasm towards sports.
- Always lead by example and do not speak foul language.
- Avoid any form of harassment towards your athletes. This includes harassment on sex, race and disability.