Senior Sports Science Officer
The Hong Kong Sports Institute Limited (“HKSI”) is the Government’s delivery agent to provide the high performance training system for eligible sports. The HKSI’s mission is to provide an environment in which sports talent can be identified, nurtured and developed to pursue excellence in the international sporting arena benchmarked at Major Games results. We are now inviting suitable candidates for the following vacancy:
Reporting to the Scientific Conditioning Manager, the Senior Sports Science Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- To direct, supervise and monitor appropriate staffing/productivity of junior staff in the sports science laboratory;
- To provide comprehensive physiological assessments for the athletes both on the sporting field and in the laboratory setting;
- To coordinate and conduct exercise testing which may involve pre-test communication, test explanation, and test processing/ preliminary data reporting;
- To provide advice on the most effective recovery strategies and protocols in helping the athletes to maximize recuperation and minimize fatigue in their sports;
- To supervise the sports science officer, scientific assessment officer and testing assistant in order to formulate testing training and monitoring;
- To collaborate and advise colleagues within the division coaches and others as appropriate to ensure the effective delivery of services;
- To provide local and overseas on-field support to sports teams;
- To supervise operation of the laboratory including maintenance of equipment and control of consumables for the laborator;
- To assist in new project and research planning;
- To deliver educational lectures for coaches and athletes;
- To assist in administrative tasks of the Unit and supervise junior staff;
- To assist in research projects;
- To maintain current knowledge of sports science practices, community resources and share that knowledge and skill as appropriate with staff; and
- To perform any other appropriate duties as assigned by supervisor.
- A master degree in physiology, sports science, exercise science, science related disciplines or equivalent;
- Applicants should have (1) A minimum of four years relevant experience preferably in sports science; or (2) Two years full-time working experience in related disciplines AND two years full-time experience as an athlete within a high performance system and exposed to applied sports science;
- At least 2 years experience including supervisory experience in the laboratory setting, with demonstrated ability to organize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Experience with all aspects of conducting cardiopulmonary exercise tests including metabolic cart calibration and troubleshooting, testing protocols, gas exchange pattern recognition and reporting;
- Good knowledge and experience in strength and physical training on elite level athletes;
- Certified as specialist in strength and physical training is an advantage
- Good interpersonal and planning skills;
- Able to work irregular hours and perform under pressure;
- Good command of both spoken and written English and Chinese. Ability to speak Putonghua is a definite advantage; and
- Capable of operating SPSS, Visual FoxPro and MS Access.
Please send the completed Application Form with indication of expected salary to The Human Resources Manager, Hong Kong Sports Institute Ltd, 25 Yuen Wo Road, Sha Tin, New Territories or email: firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 17 October 2023. Please quote reference no. HKSI-20230926-SSSO in the application.
Appointment will be on a fixed term contract. General information is available at the website http://www.hksi.org.hk.
Applicants who are not invited for interview within six months may consider their applications unsuccessful.
All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence. Personal Data provided by appointees will be used strictly for recruitment and other employment-related purposes only.
THE HKSI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYER