Hong Kong Athletes Fund (HKAF)
To commemorate the achievements of Hong Kong athletes in the 1996 Olympic and Paralympic Games, the Government established the Hong Kong Athletes Fund (HKAF), aiming to provide grants for educational and other academic training to individual athletes to allow them to pursue excellence in their chosen sports and to provide them with the opportunity to develop alternative careers upon retirement from sports.
Who can apply?
Athletes must meet all of the following criteria:
- Medallist (> 9 entries) or top 1/3 (≤ 9 entries) in Asian Senior Championships, or equivalent or above (according to the Elite Vote Scoring Table). Results of junior championships will not be considered; and
- Senior (current or retired) elite athlete of a recognized National Sports Association (NSA). Athletes will have a two-year grace period following their retirement during which they could apply for grants; and
- Resided in Hong Kong for a minimum of three years and is a holder of a Hong Kong Identity Card at the time of application; and
- Eligible to represent Hong Kong in competitions that are sanctioned by the respective international federation either before or at the time of the deadline for applications.
Certificate/ diploma/ degree courses offered by the following educational institutions will be funded:
- University Grants Committee (UGC)-funded tertiary education institutions;
- Post-secondary institutions;
- Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education;
- Continuing education departments of UGC-funded tertiary institutions; and
- Approved overseas colleges or universities (if no comparable courses are offered locally)
Types of Grant
- Tuition grants for long-term study programmes (length of course: one year or longer):
- Full-time programmes:
A maximum of HK$42,100 per year for a maximum of six years.
- Part-time programmes:
A maximum of HK$42,100 per year. Support will be capped at the maximum equivalent of the full-time programme support (i.e. HK$252,600).
- Full-time programmes:
- Tuition grants for short-term study programmes (length of course: less than one year): A maximum of HK$10,000 per year.
- Subsistence allowance: Retired athletes who are undertaking long-term full-time study programmes may apply a subsistence allowance up to a maximum of HK$40,000 per year for a maximum of six years
- Under the conditions of the HKAF, each eligible athlete will be supported ONCE only for one study programme.
- The highest qualification attainable with support from the HKAF should be an undergraduate degree course.
- The Hong Kong Sports Institute reserves the right to reject any application without explanation.
The following notes are useful for applicants applying the Hong Kong Athletes Fund. Please read carefully.
- There will be no restriction placed on the area of study.
- Applicants are required to submit their application prior to commencement of the course. All approved grants will be released based on a pro-rata basis subject to the date of course commencement.
- It is the responsibility of athletes to notify the HKSI if they have received any other financial support (such as the Student Financial Assistance Agency and other relevant organizations etc.) for the tuition fee of the HKAF approved study programme.
- Applicants who have received financial support from other organizations/ institutions to cover the tuition fee of the applied course in full will not be considered for support. For course with tuition fee that has already been partially claimed by other funding sources, only the remaining tuition fee will be covered by the HKAF upon successful application.
- For successful applications, reimbursement will be paid by instalments twice a year upon receipt of official tuition fee receipt and proof of satisfactory completion of the previous term of study (i.e. courses are completed with a passing grade).
- Courses that must be retaken for any reason will not be covered by HKAF tuition grants.
- Athletes who fail to complete their studies will not be required to refund grants. However, subsequent grants will be terminated.
- The personal data provided by means of this application form will be used by the Hong Kong Sports Institute or other relevant organizations, such as the Student Financial Assistance Agency, for the purpose of verification and processing of applications only.
- Subject to exemptions under the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, applicants have the right of access and correction with respect to his/her personal data.
- Late application will only be considered if a letter of justifications is provided. Late applications refer to the application submitted no later than 2 weeks after the deadline.
- Applications will be accepted twice a year, in around June/July and December/January. Application forms can be downloaded from the HKSI website: www.hksi.org.hk
- Applicants will be informed of the result of their application usually in October and March.
Mr. Hui Ho Kiu
Assistant Athlete Affairs Manager
Athlete Affairs Department
Hong Kong Sports Institute
25 Yuen Wo Road, Shatin, NT
Tel: 2681 6529
Fax: 2605 0618